Our kind of life

We had another fun-filled weekend and I for one am ready to have a quiet week if all goes well!

Saturday morning we started off the weekend with the Ankeny Summerfest parade.  We joined a friend and her two girls there and then intercepted 3 more kids from a friend that was walking in the parade.  It was a beautiful day for a parade and we were so thankful to have found a really great shady spot since it was 2 hours long! 

Saturday night was the big 40th birthday party for my brothers and my gift to them was the camper cake.  They were not thrilled about having to blow out candles but I was thrilled to see how cool they looked lit.  Just like I had envisioned it! 

IMG_2652 (1024x768)

Sunday morning we had a really wonderful, and much needed, slow morning of sitting out on the patio chatting and drinking coffee.  Then we all went with Toby to Judo and learned about what to expect in his first tournament next weekend.  He’s a little nervous but I know he’ll do great.  He’s ready for the competition.

After Judo we stopped home to grab lunch and then headed up to Ankeny for a couple of steamy hours of fun at Summerfest .  It was really hot that day but we kept cool watching the water fight put on by the fire department.

We ran a quick errand, stopped home to pack a picnic dinner and then headed up to my sister’s house in Alleman for more fun.  Lilly has been wanting to get up there to ride their horse, Buttercup, for months.  She loved every minute of that and looked so cute in her little pink boots! 

IMG_2728 (910x1024)IMG_2732 (1024x937)

Toby couldn’t get enough of riding the four wheeler and did so until his hand hurt to much to keep going.  We had a nice relaxing night of sitting outside chatting with family. 

IMG_2746 (1024x739)

After dark we were able to see the Summerfest fireworks just perfectly from my sister’s back deck.  It was a beautiful night.

Since Mark is off on Mondays it was still our weekend today.  We all slept in after being up late and then awaken by the storm last night.  Then we had a productive day of working around the homestead.  Mark elevated the beehive, staked my arbor into the ground, and took care of lots of little things that needed tending to while I worked in the garden, weeded the pumpkin patch, did laundry and other misc. chores and then mowed.  The kids helped me vacuum out the van and then they were pretty content playing in buckets of water for most of the afternoon. 

Reading that probably makes our life seem a bit boring but this is the life for us.  Slow and simple with a good balance of work and play. 

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.